Monday, March 18

{recipe} caramelized balsamic red onion, goat cheese & bacon pizza


A left yesterday morning for a week of training in Raleigh, NC, which meant that I had a rare Sunday night to myself after church (we normally get dinner with small group or watch something on Netflix before parting ways). I love every minute I can get with that man, but I certainly enjoyed my time alone at home Sunday night, whipping up some yummy chocolate chip & pretzel cookies for my lucky co-workers today and throwing together what's probably my fav homemade pizza to date. Also, I should probably clarify that by "favorite homemade pizza to date" I mean the only one I've ever made, so therefore it's my favorite. But seriously, how can you go wrong with caramelized red onions, goat cheese, and bacon? Well, my foodie co-worker did suggest adding figs next time, so maybe that's one way because that sounds incredible, but this pizza tasted so great last night and almost as good for lunch today! The best part is that by buying a pre-made crust and microwaveable bacon, it only took me about 15 minutes to put together. Baby steps, people.


I couldn't wait to have a piece before taking the picture ... oops!


Without further adieu, I give you "Caramelized Balsamic Red Onion, Goat Cheese, & Bacon Pizza" (I came up with the official  name myself, of course):


Ingredients:
  • 1 10 oz Ready to Bake Pizza Crust (in the Pasta/Italian aisle at Target)
    • If you want to make your own crust (high five!), I found this great recipe from Giada - she seems to know what's up in the kitchen, but it does take a bit longer what with the whole dough rising portion of the process!
    • You could also use a Pillsbury pizza dough, as well, I imagine
  • 1 cup Marinara (I like lots of sauce)
  • 1 large Red Onion, chopped
  • 1 package crumbled Goat Cheese
  • 1 package Oscar Meyer microwavable bacon
    • 
    • Obviously, real bacon made in the skillet is better, but I have a bad track record with cooking bacon, so I played it safe
  • 8 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 c balsamic Vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp EVOO
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Preheat broiler to HI. Combine chopped red onion, balsamic vinegar, EVOO, salt, and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and broil for 8-10 minutes, until onions are slightly caramelized.

In the meantime, prepare bacon (on stove or in microwave, no one's judging here!) until crispy. Spread marinara on pizza dough, leaving 1 inch "crust" around the outside. Top with mozzarella cheese. When onions are done, spread over entire pizza. Top with goat cheese and crumbled bacon.


Ready to go in the oven!


Bake pizza 13-15 minutes at 425*F (switch to "Bake" and pre-heat after removing onions from broiler).

Enjoy!














No comments:

Post a Comment

you might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...