Tuesday, March 19

keys to a successful roadtrip

I'm driving to Chicago Thursday night for a weekend of McConnell family fun. When A drives, it takes six hours because he's a) a good driver and b) doesn't stop. ever.

But since he'll be flying in from Raleigh, I'll be making the Minne to Chicago leg of the trip alone and am thus in full road trip preparation mode. It's only seven hours (yes, I added on an extra one there, given past experiences), but seven hours after working a full day is a long seven hours - and I'm not exactly the best at being awake in a car after dark. So, alas, below find the keys to a successful roadtrip for Mary:




  1. 5 Hour Energy - Especially if you're driving at night. I'm not a proponent of drinking this stuff every day - that seems a little unhealthy! But it really does give me the jolt of energy I need to stay awake on long night drives, so you can bet I'll have one thrown in my bag for Thursday's trip.
  2. Audio Book - If you want the hours to pass by quickly, find a best seller on audio book and hit play! I listened to The Help on a road trip once, and I was almost sad to get out of the car when I arrived. I also may have developed a thick southern accident and experienced culture shock when stepping into 2012 Milwaukee, WI versus 1960s Jackson, MS, but that's how great that book was on CD. The key here, though, is to get a book with a great plot that doesn't take forever to build up - nothing is worse than waiting hours to get to the good parts.
  3. If traveling with a companion, road trip games are a must. Unfortunately for A, I fell asleep mid-road sign alphabet game last time, but he finished in fine form, wrapping up with Z moments after I woke from my slumber. I'll be flying solo on Thursday, so I'll probably do without games this time ... unless things get desperate.
  4. Yoga Pants. Comfy! Need I say more?
  5. Favorite Snack - For me, it's Cheez-Its all the way. Grabbing a snack at the grocery before taking off is way cheaper and less smelly than stopping for fast food along the way.
  6. Super America Pop/Big Gulp/Polar Pop - The name may change depending on your region, but the delight one experiences when drinking that 32 0z of caffeinated splendor is consistent across state lines. I'm still on the line on if I'll get one this week, as I"ll be trying to make it with minimal restroom stops and kind of gave up Diet Coke (but kind of didn't completely). We'll see! I think roadtrips are good exceptions.
  7. And finally, when you can't play another game of "I Spy" or listen to another minute of that John Grisham thriller (my most recent John Grisham on audiobook was a dud), move on to old faithful, a good playlist on Spotify or your iTunes. Sometimes, all it takes is a little Beyonce to get you through that last hour.
Happy Travels, friends!

Do you prefer road-tripping alone or with a buddy?
What are your road trip must-haves?


3 comments:

  1. What book are you listening to for your trip? I listened to Life of Pi when we were abroad on those long bus ride study tours and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett. It was on the "Best of 2011" audio book list on audible. Here's the link: http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B0052OUFO0 . Do you have any recommendations??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have listened to "The Help" TWICE on audiobook. SO GOOD. I love it! I used to have a language class about a mile from my house when I studied abroad, and I would listen to the book when I walked there every day. Love. Also, I'm now craving cheez-its. So thank you for that :)

    ReplyDelete

you might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...