Friday, March 29

{skincare 101} keepin' it clean & clear

Hi there!

I've spoken a couple of times about mixing up my skincare routine in order to make sure my money maker is as clear, healthy, and (in the future) wrinkle-free as possible. I'm really happy with how much having a set regimen morning and night has paid off so quickly for me! I do have to admit that I inherited good skin from my mama. Aside from the tortuous days of middle school breakouts (possibly brought on by the mop of bangs I had yet to grow out), I've had a relatively easy road when it comes to keeping my face clear of acne. Which is really good because I also inherited an incredibly fair complexion from mi madre, and nothing stands out more on a white canvas than a bright red blemish. I always envied my darker complected friends during my teen years, as their breakouts were easily masked behind that golden glow. The only glow my skin put off was the glare from a camera flash bouncing off my pale cheeks and forehead. Sexy. 


But alas, with my "classic ivory" skin comes a future with (hopefully) less wrinkles, as I am required to cake on the SPF 45 whenever the sun suggests it might appear (and even, according to my dermatalogist, when it doesn't). 

(On that note, let me take his moment to make a plug for ANNUAL DERMATOLOGIST VISITS! Please do yourself a huge favor and go in for a full body scan once a year, whether you spend your summers under an umbrella or bathing in tanning oil. I won't start a lecture here on skin cancer, but please just be wise and stay on top of what's going on with that beautiful epidermis of yours.)

Moving on. A couple weeks ago, my friend Alessandra did a three-part series over on her amazing blog, signed with love, on how she's changed up her skincare routine in order to prep for her nuptials in July. That prompted me to take another look at my own daily routine to see if there was anything I could do to treat my body's largest organ a little more nicely. She sold me on Mario Badescu products, and after a bit more research I made the plunge (which wasn't really that deep of a plunge - they're very reasonably priced!) and invited mister badescu to join me in my morning and night skincare rituals. I haven't been disappointed with the products I chose, which I added to a few of my own staples to develop a fairly quick routine. I've outlined that below.The only thing I haven't started yet but am seriously considering is a Clarisonic. I'm not sold on it yet and am unsure if I really need it. Suggestions on that, folks?


1.  Glycolic Foaming Cleanser (Mario Badescu) - (from the website) "For dull, congested skin, this lathering, deep cleanser has the exfoliating powers of Glycolic Acid to break down build-up from skins surface, reduce minor discoloration and leave skin radiant and smooth." I like it and have been using 2-3 mornings a week.

2. Botanical Facial Gel (Mario Badescu) - I use this cleanser at night and 3-4 mornings a week, and I feel like it does a great job at clearing away all of the make-up and dirt from my day. It recommends using twice daily, but I swap it for the foaming cleanser (below) a few mornings a week. 

3. Cucumber Cleansing Lotion (Mario Badescu) - Toner/astringent had been missing from  my daily routine and I'm glad I brought it back in. This product removes a lot of the residue that clogs pores while also disinfecting the skin's surface. Basically, it helps prevent acne problems. I use it morning and night after washing and before moisturizing. I"m impressed by how little dirt seems to come off after using the Facial Gel.  

4. Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer - I use this moisturizer at night before bed and swap it out for the Aveeno Clear Complexion BB Cream during the day. I like to avoid cream make-up on my face, and this tinted moisturizer works great to even out my skin tone while providing SPF 30 protection and some gentle acne prevention. 

5. Drying Lotion (Mario Badescu) - I have tried so many spot treatments for those random blemishes that pop up (always at the worst possible times), and nothing has ever worked as effectively as this product! I apply it at night after cleansing and moisturizing and love that it works so quickly to clear up trouble spots. If I had to recommend one product, it would be this one! I was reading REAL Simple magazine on the treadmill yesterday and saw that they had given it a thumbs up, as well. Just hope no one comes a'knocking after applying, as you look a little silly with pink spots all over your face.

 6. Yes To blueberries Eye Firming Treatment - Full disclosure, I turned 25 and freaked out so ran to Target to search for an anti-ageing eye cream. And this one was on sale. I'm still deciding how I feel about all-natural products (ie, do I HAVE to use them?), but for now I'm just glad I at least feel like I'm fighting those fine under-eye lines. I didn't listen to the advice to be gentle when cleansing/removing make-up from your eyes, so I feel like I've got to start something here. Do you have an eye cream you recommend?

And that's that! Coming up next week, I'm going to share some insights on how to eat for good, healthy skin.


3 comments:

  1. Yes! Buy a Clarisonic! Or maybe hint hint for one as a gift because they are expensive! I would totally love one. I used a friends once and it totally makes your skin so so so smooooooth. Do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bets! Apparently there is a cheaper one but I haven't seen it yet. You're right, probably a good gift :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you wrote this! I've been really struggling with my skin lately and cannot seem to come up with a good remedy. Maybe Mario Badescu is the cure. :) My mom got me a cheaper version of the Clarisonic for Christmas (I think it's made my Olay) and it makes my face feel so clean! I also recently freaked about eye wrinkles but haven't found anything that doesn't make the skin around my eyes burn! Is the Say Yes to Carrots pretty gentle?

    ReplyDelete

you might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...